Are you a stumbler? I am and until a few days ago, I didn’t have a clue how StumbleUpon worked. To be honest, I never used it that much. I usually stay away from things I don’t understand. But I started using it more when I noticed that I was getting some traffic from StumbleUpon. Needless to say then I didn’t know how it worked and didn’t care to know how it worked.
Let’s fast forward to right now. I did a little more research and found out that StumbleUpon is a great place for not only sharing your own articles, but a great place to share other people’s articles and sites that you like as well. You can also get targeted traffic from people who have similar interests to yours.
I’ve been following SweetOnVeg on StumbleUpon and didn’t realize that she was such an active stumbler until I viewed her favorites. I checked out her favorites and I made sure to rate those sites and articles that I liked as well as added a review.
Little did I know that I would connect with Jeanette’s Healthy Living just by taking time to visit her blog and commenting on one of her articles? I also let her know that I found her via StumbleUpon.
I connected with Jeanette further by joining her Facebook Page and subscribing to her blog. In return, she visited my blog and left a comment letting me know that she’s glad to have found someone who has similar interests to hers. That’s just one example, but there were a few others that I connected with too.
You’re probably thinking that it would take too much time to network on StumbleUpon. Well, it really doesn’t take that much time. But of course you can’t expect anyone to find you if all you ever do is stumble your own articles. It does take a little work.
The goals of this article are:
- To tell you what StumbleUpon is
- How you can get the most from StumbleUpon
- How you can get targeted traffic using StumbleUpon
What is StumbleUpon?
StumbleUpon is a discovery engine that finds the best of the web for each unique user. You can discover and rate Web pages, photos, and videos that are personalized to your interests and tastes using peer-sourcing and social networking principles. (Wikipedia)
To date there are 11,939,880 members on StumbleUpon.
Make StumbleUpon work for you
Once you have created an account with StumbleUpon, it would be wise for you to:
- Join Groups that are of interest to you.
- Follow like-minded stumblers; don’t worry about them following you back. When they see you have a few things in common, they will probably follow you back.
- Visit their sites and leave a comment, if you feel led to
- Stumble, vote and review their articles and sites.
- Stumble often.
Get Targeted Traffic
I use to think that all I had to do was stumble my own articles and somehow people would magically appear on my site. But at the rate I was going, I would be waiting forever.
- Build a community of like-minded followers.
- Whenever you stumble an article, be sure to include the appropriate tags.
- Write quality content and share with your followers. Don’t bombard them with only your articles, but do share them from time to time. You don’t want to appear too spammy.
- Just have fun.
If you are shying away from StumbleUpon because you don’t understand how it works or think it is waste of time, then don’t fear. After reading this article and viewing the videos you should have a better understanding about how everything works.
I am new to StumbleUpon and learning the ropes, but if you don’t mind that, then come and join me on StumbleUpon. We can stumble together!
Image credit: Bernard Goldbach