• determinatioin

Always Be Determined

This year is quickly coming to an end.  Have you made any New Year’s resolutions?  Some of you probably have added the following resolutions to your list, eat better/healthier, exercise, lose weight, stop smoking, etc.  Don’t quit before January is over, stick with it.  Aren’t you worth the time and investment?

Keeping New Year’s Resolutions

1.  Write down your resolutions.

2.  Review your list as often as possible.

3.  Share your resolutions with a friend who will hold you accountable.

4.  Keep your resolutions in the forefront of your mind.

5.  Get the necessary books, videos and any other materials and tools that will inspire and help you stay on point.

6.  Hang out with people who are doing the same thing you’re doing.

7.  Ignore the naysayers and the haters.  Keep it moving.

8.  Think positive, you’ll get positive.  Think negative, you’ll get negative.

9.  Keep a daily journal, recording the things you did that day.  This will help you get a step closer to reaching your goals.

10. Don’t set your expectations too high.

11.  Be ready to experience those times when you want to give up.

12.  Whenever doubt rears its ugly head, go for a walk, breathe some fresh air, read your favorite inspirational/motivational quotes, or watch inspirational/motivational videos on You Tube.

13.  Read a few blogs in healthy living, personal development, or self-improvement.

14.  Don’t let one mess up, cause you to give up.

15.  Wash, rinse and repeat!

It’s easy writing a New Year’s resolution list, but not so easy sticking with what you planned for the new year.  Don’t be one who give’s up within the first few weeks of the New Year.  Be one who sticks with it until the journey is complete.

It matters how you are going to FINISH.  Are you going to finish STRONG?  Nick Vujicic, Motivational Speaker

Have you made any healthy resolutions for the New Year?  Please share!

Image credit: Dana

• Evelyn Parham

Learn more about me here.  You can find me on Twitter, Google Plus, You Tube, and Instagram sharing healthy living tips and inspiration for your mind, body and spirit. Get my Newsletter and Weekly Blog Post Updates delivered to your inbox by signing up here.  Stay connected!

• Comments

• 19 comments

Hi Evelyn, All are awesome tips, thanks for sharing :) #1, 12, and 15 resonate with me. Write things down, be aware of your level of vibration at ALL times (keep an eye on your feelings) and persist like heck. Writing goals down makes the goals concrete. You can't ignore the written word. Keeping something in your head? That's another story. Check your level of vibration because it leads to creation. How you feel determines what actions you will take. Doubt and you will move into fear-driven actions. Never a good thing. Take a break and start feeling faith. Get your energy high, and act immediately! As for persistence, you can achieve anything until you stick with it for a period of time. Persistence separates champions from the rest. Have a powerful day! RB

Hey Ryan! Love your insight and what you share. Always makes me think deeper! Have a great weekend! Evelyn

This is nice Evelyn. I appreciate the way you focus on the positive. I often find myself discouraged with resolutions, but I've been hard on myself & I didn't surround myself with positive people. So I really like #6 & 7. Resolutions are great in the sense they get people thinking of ways to improve themselves & their lives. I like that you call it a journey. That's exactly what it is! ~Dandy

Hi Dandy, It's not easy to focus on the positive, but you have to. Because it helps everything fall in place. I wish much success, peace and blessings on your journey. I know you will be fine! ;) Have a great weekend! Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, Very nice list. I really like numbers 5, 6, 7, and 15. Focusing on what is positive and on our goals really is beneficial. One of the things that I use to keep my resolutions is focus on the end result and the benefits that I will get in the long term. This really helps me keep my new resolutions. Thanks for mentioning my article my friend and for sharing this excellent post:)

Hi Dia, The end is what matters most. That's a good way to look at resolutions and anything that you set out to accomplish. No problem! You have great content that others should read. ;) Take care, Evelyn

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kissie N Atl and Evelyn Parham, Health Votes. Health Votes said: RT @evelyn_parham Keeping New Year's Resolutions http://bit.ly/g9RsoP [...]

Hi Evelyn Some really helpful tips here. It's easy to make resolutions and feel that they will not be kept! By writing things down or sharing them, become more accountable. Also it's a gentle reminder to keep on track :-) Patricia Perth Australia

Hi Patricia, Thanks for stopping by and chiming in! ;) Take care, Evelyn

i agree on the tenth point completely. a target as high as infinity will go unachieved and there is nothing wrong in it. but the problem is that you realize it in midway and you lose interest in your targets and you give up before the time is up. I still remember my early wake up resolution of last year that i could not mange, should have set it to 7 am, instead of 5 which made be hate the wake up early idea. I have plenty of lost targets every year, most of the goals that i set every year, i achieve hardly a few of those. but in the process of achieving them, i get a lot of success. for example, i might not make 10 guest posts a month, but i can end up doing 8 which is equally good. Though, this year, am not doing any resolutions or fixing targets, i will just do what i can with out any targets. Let's see how that works out...

Hi Uttoran, Thank you for sharing and chiming in. Very interesting! Evelyn

Evelyn, I found my self staring at the opening picture for about 20 minutes...no joke. Determination..Ahhh. We can do a whole life lesson on that. Without determination for anything we are lost. With the determination to achieve everything, we have found a purpose to our life. First time on this blog and I'm already taken like ( trey songz) Great post Evelyn.

Hi Jonathan, Welcome to my blog! So true...determination is the key to all things we want to do in life. I'm not familiar with Trey Songz, but I'll take that. ;) Thanks for stopping by and sharing! Evelyn

Awesome list Evelyn, I have nothing to add! I just want to stress the importance of one you included though. We must "fail forward". We only learn what works and what doesn't by doing. Chances are when you start working towards a health and fitness goal, you will not achieve it effortlessly. Many things you do will most likely not work and it will be tempting to give up. But there is success in those failures. By finding out what doesn't work will put you one step closer to finding out what does.

Hi Susan, "Fail forward" I like that! I'm getting my fitness goals together and this is some good advice. Thanks for chiming in, Evelyn

Thanks for this post. In the past, I write my goals down, but don't review them. It's so easy to become distracted. I often wonder if I become distracted because the goal isn't based on a place of authenticity but based on what others "think" I should do or be or have. This year I plan to be more focused on how each goal resonates with my "soul desire". Best wishes!

Hi Elle, I feel you on how each goal resonates with your "soul desire." Thanks for stopping by, Evelyn

I know it's a bit late to add a comment but it's never too late to make a change. These are all great tips for helping to keep resolutions. Dr. Ian Newby-Clark writes a blog on habit formation. He has a great series of posts called What Went Right that are helpful in turning good intentions into good outcomes. You can find his blog here: http://my-bad-habits.blogspot.com/ Have a great New Year!

Thanks, Dr. Mark! I'll definitely check it out! :) Evelyn