• Elderly Woman Smile

Elegant Elderly Lady

I was in the book store yesterday and this book caught my attention.  Yeah, I am a sucker for books.  And to think I purchased Alicia Silverspoon’s hardback last weekend.  Oh, well, I love books.

The reason this book caught my eye is because, I want to know the secrets.  Secrets of Longevity: Hundreds of Ways to Live to Be 100,written by Dr. Maoshing Ni, is an easy read, with a total of 328 pages (includes all pages).

Do not let the number of pages stop you from reading this book.  You can easily finish reading this book in one hour or less.

I could not wait to share some of the secrets with you.  Can you believe this is not all of Dr. Ni’s list?  Yes there is more!  Dr. Ni goes into greater detail about each secret in his book.

Dr. Ni’s includes the secrets to longevity in the following chapters:

• What you eat (diet and nutrition)
    • How you heal (herbs, remedies, and elixirs)
    • Where you are (environment, ecology, and community)
    • What you do (exercise, lifestyle, and rejuvenation)
    • Who you are (genetics, relationships, love, sexuality, and faith)
    • Bringing it all together (achieving a fulfilling life and personal legacy)

100 Secrets of Longevity

10. A garlic clove a day
    11. Go fish for the omega
    12. Brown rice for long life
    13. Berry, berry good for you
    14. Eat your sea vegetables
    15. To slim down, fill up with soup
    16. Don’t kill your food (heat to death)
    17. Nuts and seeds keep you young
    18. Password to a treasure of health:  open sesame
    19. Honey, the natural antibiotic
    20. The ultimate longevity food (mushrooms)
    21. Be healthy as a weed (burdock)
    22. The cancer – fighting tomato
    23. Sea salt for essential minerals
    24. Liquid longevity (water)
    25. Olive oil optimizes blood pressure
    26. Carbonation:  bad for bones
    27. Orange rind peels away cholesterol
    28. You can literally eat your heart out (overeating)
    29. Spice up your circulation (garlic, onions, cayenne, and turmeric)
    30. Housekeeping for the body (fiber)
    31. Packaged food’s unwelcome additives
    32. You eat naturally – does your food?
    33. Broccoli for breathing
    34. Bulk up bones with orange juice
    35. Eat your spinach for better eyesight
    36. Sorghum beats wheat – even brown rice
    37. Artichoke:  first aid for your liver
    38. Cancer and fat:  the stats (U.S. 40-50% calories from fat)
    39. When it comes to protein, less is more
    40. Eat low on food chain (beans, legumes, fruits, nuts, seeds and other plants)
    41. Sugar’s side effects aren’t so sweet
    42. Drink your celery
    43. Chicory for a strong heart
    44. Asparagus spears:  natural weapons against aging
    45. Hang on to that memory
    46. Unstress your heart
    47. The yellow cure for sluggish blood (turmeric)
    48. Think best with low stress
    49. Bee products nourish and protect
    50. Brain-shaped herb keeps you smart (ginkgo)
    51. Natural vitamins, not petrochemical pills
    52. Fenugreek foments vitality
    53. Saw palmetto for a healthier prostate
    54. Fight fatal disorders with folic acid
    55. Fat vitamins, ward off breast cancer (essential fatty acids)
    56. Western meds can leave you dead
    57. Killing bugs can kill your cells (bug spray)
    58. Peel away pesticides (fruits and vegetables)
    59. When you clean your home, don’t pollute your body
    60. Water, giver of life
    61. Make your world less plastic
    62. Get in line with Earth’s energy
    63. Well-being booster:  people (positive)
    64. Use cell phones with caution
    65. Bug off with lemongrass
    66. Long walks beget long life
    67. Time to exercise:  any time
    68. Make fitness fun
    69. Weights and walking for stronger bones
    70. Aerobic goes to the heart of things
    71. Beat diabetes with regular exercise
    72. Gardening grows your life span (I love gardening)
    73. Music to the ears can add on the years
    74. Sleep tight for a long life
    75. A brush with longevity (dry skin brushing)
    76. Unhook your addictions holistically
    85. Be good to others to be good to yourself
    86. Travel light:  forgive and forget
    87. Simple living, self-reliance:  the mark of all centenarians
    88. Snuggle, cuddle, hug – it’s good for you
    89. Stress can be an inside job
    90. Meditate, don’t medicate
    91. Be like a  two-year old – just say no.
    92. Speak you mind for peace of heart
    93. Take a mental dump daily
    94. Laugh it off
    95. Cut clutter, slash stress
    96. Cancer breeds in repression and stress
    97. Happy heart, healthy heart
    98. Your health is your business
    99. There are no greedy centenarians
    100. Listen to your inner wisdom

Have you ever thought about being 100 years old?  Are you doing anything on this list?  If you are, please share.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Image: “Elderly Woman Smile” by Ambro

• 39 comments

What an interesting looking book. As a chiropractor I’m immediately drawn to the suggestions about bone and muscle health, exercise and fitness. But I also like the points on environmental health as well: #32 – You eat naturally – does your food? #59 – When you clean your home, don’t pollute your body; #61 – Make your world less plastic. I think that environmental influences on our health are becoming a greater and greater issue each day and we need to be thinking not only about what items we put into our bodies but also how we’re producing, packaging and shipping those items.

Hi Dr. Mark, Thanks for chiming in! I agree with you about environmental health. I enjoy cleaning with natural products and I don't have to breathe in those harmful fumes. Have a great weekend! Evelyn

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Project Swole, bizchickblogs.com. bizchickblogs.com said: RT @evelyn_parham One Hundred Ways to Live to Be 100 http://bit.ly/gjEjkL #bcbnetwork [...]

Evelyn, these are incredible tips! I know it may not be in my best interest to call attention to it on a Vegan blog, but I love the fish one. I have recently been trying to eat more fish (than other meats) because of the Omega 3s, but am learning more about their effects on the brain and on the body. These are great! Seriously!

Hi Bryan, Thanks, buddy! You never need think that what you share will not be in your best interest, even if it is on my blog, which happens to focus on plant-based eating. The majority of the readers of this blog are not vegan, heck I don't even know if they are vegetarian, so please keep sharing. Your comment can help someone. ;) I am glad you are learning more about this Omegas. Keep on keeping on! Take care, Evelyn

Good info. As a book lover myself, I'm always looking for interesting reads to perhaps add to my collection and my knowledge base. :-) Thanks for sharing!

Hi Jennifer, Thanks! I see we have a lot in common. I think I purchase a new book every week. I've got it bad. :) Thanks for chiming in! Evelyn

The "Weekday vegetarian, weekend carnivore" tip sums up how hubby and I are changing our eating habits. While we aren't quite there yet we have been gradually adding more vegetarian and vegan dishes to our list of favorite foods. Not only is is a bit kinder to the planet, and easier on our food budget, but its a fun way to explore all sorts of new foods.

Hi Jia, Welcome to my blog! Gradually transitioning works very well! I agree, it's fun exploring new foods. Glad you stopped by and shared with us! Take care, Evelyn

Sweet Evelyn, This is a fantastic post and one of my favorite of yours because it covers everything. Aging well and living well includes mind, body and soul and this piece touches on all of that and more. You share the best stuff and I am so grateful to be one of your biggest fans. Blessings, Emma

Hi Emma, Thank you and I am so happy that you like this post. You are truly a dear heart! You've made my weekend! ;) Take care, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, What a great post to live to be 100 :) I use some of the things on the list like eating smaller meals, eating spinach, and doing aerobics among other things. We have got to eat healthy and exercise as this is crucial to living a longer life. Thanks for sharing Evelyn

Hi Dia, Thank you! :) I'm glad you are doing some of the things on the list. You know what that means? You're on your way to reaching the big 100. Can you even imagine that? Thank you for chiming in! Evelyn

I have printed this list Evelyn. I like simple rules, and these short 100 tips are just right. I noticed that the first 50 are mainly about eating healthily, and the second 50 has more about inner peace and contentment. I would focus on #62/63, #66/67/68, #73/74, #79 -100. This is the first list I have seen that advocates listening to music for a long life. I agree, it probably has something to do with reducing stress. I listen to music all the time, but If you play it too hard you will start to lose your hearing earlier than usual. I like your blog Evelyn, I shall be back for more pearls of wisdom. John Leamington Spa, England

Hi John, Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you found the list useful. Yeah, I agree with you, that music probably does help reduce stress. Thank you and it's good to see you here! Evelyn

Evelyn, Wow, have you read the book from front to back yet? Love the 100 ways listed there. Seems rather practical somewhat. Lots of natural remedies. I think we don't ever think of the obvious ones on the list like exercise.

Hey Bryan, I haven't read it from cover to cover yet. I was skimming through it and thought it would be something good to share with others. You're right about exercise. Take care, Evelyn

Nowadays, most of that info can be found on tv or in the press, but people ignore it simply because that many rules leave you little to no freedom. You can't eat, drink, do the things that you enjoy every day. So what's the point in living longer if you're not happy? I'm guessing it's the same mentality as smokers have.

I think people ignore things, because they have the mentality that they are going to die with something, so why not enjoy life today. But that thinking cycle must be changed. EP

Pessimists. I know a lot of people who think "why try and live longer? i could get hit by a buss tomorrow". You can't change their way of thinking, but there's still hope for the rest of us. Maybe they'll learn if they see more positive examples.

Alex, Positive examples is what is will take! Take care, Evelyn

Wow. Certainly a lot to ponder there. I'm a health nut myself and am always interested in these tips. The single biggest thing that keeps me vigorous is having a creative passion. If we make expressing our Authentic-Self priority #1 we can be assured a full life of rich experiences.

Hi Rob, I totally agree with you. Being our authentic-selves and making that #1, can truly make a difference in our lives. I've learned that when I'm not my authentic-self, I am not as happy and things don't turn out the way they should. It makes life more pleasurable. ;) Welcome to my blog and thanks for stopping by, Rob! Take care, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, Excellent article, a lot of people want to live until at least 100 years but they fail on the road. The stress, unhappiness and bad alimentation is generally the biggest killer for everyone. Thanks for sharing it, really great! Best regards, Maria

Hi Maria, Thanks! Yeah not to mention preventable diseases. Thanks for chiming in! Evelyn

It seems vegetarian is really work for our healthy. I will try to be half-vegetarian then, hope it is enough. :)

Hi Dana, Yes it does! That's great! Including more plant-based foods is always a wise choice. Take care, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, Oooooweee!!! I loved your post! :) I must admit this is one of my weaker areas. I definitely need to do better. I used to be very athletic in my younger days... Although I exercise, I definitely do not exercise enought. Not only that... I realize I should be more conscious of what goes into my body. I'm happy that I found your blog. I appreciate you creating awareness for people like myself. I definitely need to get on top of it!!! :)I will frequent your blog more often! :) Lorina Noble Miss Mindset Makeover

Hi Lorina, Glad you liked it! Welcome to my blog and thank you for commenting! I'm with you on the exercising. I don't do it as much as I should and there really is no excuse. I appreciate you sharing and chiming in! :) Take care, Evelyn

Great article! mannnnn EVE if a brother could live to be 50 I am smiling! trying to get my weight loss on now!

Hey Darren, Good to see you! :) Go on and get your weight loss on..I ain't mad at you!! Really, that is a good thing. I know you will feel a difference in your body. Please let me know how things go for you. Best wishes! Take care, Evelyn

I will I am thinking about starting a blog about it. I did it before but now...... I have to get serious. My love affair with food has turned into some seriously messed up baby daddy issues (with food I mean, I have no kids) .LOL

Hey Darren, Okay. I know you'll get in it check. That is a good idea to start a blog about it. It would not only help you, but it could also help others. I love hearing news like this. Rock on Darren and get it done! :)

Evelyn, This is wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my book list. Sounds like this would be a great book for gift-giving as well.

Hi Lycia, You're welcome! Yes, I think it does make a good gift. Take care, Evelyn

Hi Evelyn, I love this post. Permission to copy and share the list with my friends. #64 jumped on my face while I read through the list. Have you finished reading the book yet? Do you have more to share from it, especially on #64? Have a beautiful day.

Hi Chioma, You don't need permission to print and share. I have the share buttons below the post, so share to your heart's desire. :) I haven't finished reading this book because I am reading and reviewing other books at this time. It is a very quick read, though. As far as cell phones is concerned there is a device one can purchase to lower the amount of exposure to the energy that comes from cell phones. If you do a little search on it, I'm sure you can find what I'm talking about. I personally don't use my cell phone too much..rarely have it turned on. I only turn it on and use it when I'm traveling. People get onto me all the time for not having my phone on. I think I do it to cut down on using it as much. You have a beautiful day too! ;)

I'm glad I found this post. I like to read these kind of books. Heck! I like to read most kinds of books. I've added it to my wish list. Maybe a family member will be kind enough to buy it for me as a gift (if I don't get it sooner). Thanks for posting the list.

Hi Sandra, Welcome to my blog! I hope one of your family members does get for you. It makes a nice gift. ;) Take care, Evelyn