This is a guest post written by Uttoran Sen.
Those of you, who eat a healthy and balanced diet, skip the cola and drink water, avoid the junk and cook at home, substitute sugar with natural sweeteners like honey – food addiction might be an alien concept for them.
However, unfortunately, most people aren’t that disciplined when it comes to eating. You eat as much as you want; you chase the taste instead of nutrition and very soon without you even realizing you fall into one of the food addiction traps that are so very hard to get out of.
Here, in this article, we are going to list some common signs and symptoms of food addiction.
1. Lack of control – You know you have eaten more than the portion you have set aside for yourself and you still can’t stop eating. Lack of control over your diet is a serious sign of food addiction and should be taken very seriously. This is where it all begins and surely it can end here if you just put more self-control over your eating.
2. Eating in private – You are ashamed of your food intake and you feel more comfortable to eat at some place private where people can’t see you eating.
3. Food as a prize – How do you reward yourself for your achievement and success? Right, you eat more – you give yourself an awesome treat. While this is not bad in general, however if this is just an excuse for you to eat more, then it is time you give it a second thought.
4. Are your clothes tight? – Your new dresses are just as tight as the old ones, and there is no way you can fit into any of those. Get some control over your eating or start wearing those large size clothes – take your pick.
5. Prefer food over party – Why do we go to a party? Dance, drink, food, meet new people, make friends, eat more food, get some free time, release tension, even more food, Right?
If the sole reason for you to go to a party is to eat food then you should be going to a restaurant instead.
6. Lifestyle changes – Are you changing yourself so that you can eat more food? You do exercise, join a gym, get loose clothes etc. just because you can’t get rid of the extra calories that your diet provides.
7. You lie about your eating – Have you ever talked about your food intake with any one? Do you tell people that you just had some snacks when the reality is that the snacks you ate would be good enough for someone’s whole lunch?
8. Eat with a full stomach – You feel like eating even if your stomach is full. You keep eating till the point when you can no longer eat any more and finally fall sick.
9. Eating when sad – When you feel low, when you are sad – you start eating? You take comfort from food and use it to get rid of the sadness that is surrounding you.
10. Speed eating – Do you eat quickly so that you can eat even more?
11. I hunger – The feeling of being hungry – is it affecting your life? You cannot focus on your everyday work, can’t work in your office, can’t do your day-to-day activities, because that feeling – hunger – is taking control over yourself.
This happens with every addiction, it stops you from doing your regular work because there is only one thing in your mind – the thing you are addicted to. This is how substance abuse goes on; you can’t stay away from it.
12. Over eating guilt – Yes, this is the worst of the feelings. You know you have done wrong, you know you are guilty of overeating – but there is nothing you can do to stop it. No matter how much you think about it today, how many failed promises you make – yet there will be tomorrow and you will over eat again.
Image courtesy of Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net