In October of 2012, I did a 7-day water fast, but I did not tell anyone that I was doing a water fast. My husband was the only person who knew that I was doing water fasting.
One of the main reasons I did not share information about my water fast, is because I was fasting for spiritual reasons. I believe in keeping quiet about fasting, especially when it is for spiritual reasons.
The congregation that we fellowship with was doing a corporate fast, which means that everyone fasted, at his or her discretion. I chose to do a water fast, but my husband chose intermittent fasting.
I am an experienced faster, and I fast at least one day a week. I do not always stick to this schedule, but most of the time I do.
A 7-day water fast was something that I had never done, but since I had experience with doing a 5-day water fast, I figured that I would be able to do a 7-day water fast.
I made it through the 7-day water fast and experienced internal and external miracles in my life. Fasting is something that I do, because it is not only good for the body, but it also good for the spirit.
Why You Should Consider Fasting
People often tell me that they cannot fast and fasting is not something they can do. Do you realize that you fast while you are sleeping? That is why your first meal is called breakfast, because you are breaking the fast.
There are many good benefits of fasting. Fasting slows down the digestive system and during this time your body can heal and repair itself. If you have major health conditions, consult a professional. You may consider fasting under the supervision of a professional.
Fasting cleanses your body. Your body will not only be cleansed internally, but your internal cleanse will show on the outside.
You will lose weight, but after you start eating, your weight returns. It is important that you eat a healthy diet to maintain a healthy weight.
Fasting helps improve your skin. Everyone loves beautiful, glowing skin. Your skin tells the true story about what’s going on with you internally.
Benefits of Water Fasting
Water fasting is challenging, but when you prepare yourself for water fasting you find that it gets easier each time you fast.
I did a 7-day water fast in October of 2012 and the first 3-4 days were fine. I had a healing crisis on day 5-6.
A healing crisis is when toxins stir and it is during this time that your body is healing. I came down with a cold. I had hot and cold chills, my throat was sore and it was during this time, that I rested. Best rest I had to date.
The healing crisis only lasted for a day and a half. On the 7th day, the sore throat and cold symptoms I had were gone. This was truly amazing!
Here are some benefits of water fasting:
- Pulls out toxins and poisons very quickly. If you do not want this to happen too quickly, then you should include juice or do another type of fast.
- Helps promote healthy elimination. Water is what helps keep things working in your bodies. It is more important than food.
- Decreases your body weight. Remember you will lose weight, but after you return to eating, the weight returns. It is important that you eat a healthy diet so that you can maintain your weight.
- Helps you overcome food addictions and other unhealthy habits . If you are an over-eater, addicted to sugar, or anything, you can overcome it.
- Helps heal the body. When you put things on pause with your body, your body has time to heal and recuperate on it’s own. The body is amazing!
- Helps you look and feel younger. Fasting helps with the aging process.
- Helps your mental health. You have mental clarity. Things that used to irk you, don’t bother you as much if at all. There is a quiet calm and peacefulness that exudes from you.
- Helps you in your spiritual life. Major religions of the world believe in fasting and no matter what your religion is, denying yourself, is always spiritually rewarding. Never underestimate the power of fasting, because it is the most important thing you can do for your spiritual life.
- Causes unexpected miracles happen (spiritual, physical and not so physical). What kind of miracles? Anything, yes anything!
Quick story. Water was spilled on my laptop and I was told that I would have to buy a new one. The circuit board was fried and I did not have the money to replace a Mac-Book Pro. Periodically I would try it to see if it would work, but it never did. I was without my Mac for 6 months. Well, after I did the 7-day fast, I turned on my computer and it worked. I was in total shock. I don’t know if this was a coincidence or a miracle, but I count it as a miracle.
Fasting is a part of my life, not only for health reasons, but mostly for spiritual reasons. It helps me in all areas of my life and I would not have it any other way.
If you are interested in fasting, learn all you can about it and then, choose the type of fast that works best for you. If you are new to fasting, start out with short fasts. A short fast is just a beneficial as a long fast.
A good book to read is The Miracle of Fasting by Patricia and Paul Bragg. There are other books on the market, but this book is a good book to get you started.
Consult a professional, before starting a fast, especially if you have a chronic disease and are fasting for longer 7-10 days.
Discussion: Have you fasted? If yes, what type of fast did you do and how did it help you?
Image courtesy of Idea go / FreeDigitalPhotos.net