Today our guest blogger is Aqiyl Henry.
Evelyn recently posted an important article about maintaining your health with daily exercise routines. Exercising is sometimes looked upon as a daunting task and is a reason why we may not exercise daily. But there is an exercise that is not stressful, can make you lose weight, and can improve your cardio.
Power-walking is here to rescue you! I started power-walking to take pressure of my knees. I used to jog and skip rope a lot which took its toll on my knees, which resulted in me having surgery on my knee.
I didn’t want to continue to put that type of pressure on my knees, but I did want cardio and leg strengthening I gained from running and I ran into power-walking.
Power-walking is a great exercise to burn calories and lose weight, and surprisingly it will strengthen and tone your legs, stomach, back, and arms. It is a total body workout and will tone and strengthen your body without putting a lot of stress on it. The key is to power-walk with correct technique. Using the correct technique is vital to maximize the full benefits of power-walking.
1) Wear a good pair of sneakers
2) Warm up first
3) Start slow and gradually work your way up to 3.5 to 4 miles per hour
4) Align the posture by keeping the back straight and the shoulders rolled back and down
5) Bend the elbows and keep them close to the body, while pumping the arms up and down so that the hands come to shoulder height or higher
6) Take short strides, push off the back leg and roll the feet landing from mid-sole to toe. A power walk should last between 20-60 minutes
7) Cool down period at a speed of 2 -2.5 miles an hour
I have added a video which goes over the steps above.