I have read blog posts of other people that I follow, who did this and I thought it would be fun to share a little about myself, since it is Friday. I got this idea from Ali and Jennifer. Ali wrote an article entitled 50 Things About Me and Jennifer wrote an article entitled 25 things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me. Ali mentioned in his article that “telling us more about himself was therapeutic” and I feel the same way about writing this article today.
Today, I share 31 things that you probably didn’t know about me.
1. I am a natural, country, southern girl.
2. My nickname is “Tootie.”
3. I love the laughter of a child.
4. I love sharing knowledge with others.
5. I have one brother and I am the oldest.
6. My brother and I stayed with different relatives until my grandmother stepped up to the plate and took us for a short period of a time.
7. My grandmother was the major influencing person in my life. She helped shape and mold me into the person I am today.
8. I was present when my uncle got killed. No, my brother and I didn’t see what happened because we were upstairs, but we heard the shot and later saw him lying on the porch. My uncle was only 19 years old at the time. I was only 8 years old trying to comfort my 6 year old brother. 🙁
9. I wrote a short story in high school and won an award for it.
10. I started singing publically when I was 13 years old, but I’ve always been a good singer, since I could remember.
11. I developed a love for science when I was in the 7th grade. I told myself that I was going to be a doctor. So much for that! 🙂
12. I won 3rd place in my high school talent show. I sang “Saving All My Love for You,” by Whitney Houston. Whitney is my all time favorite singer.
13. I was a high school mascot my senior year. Go Tigers!
14. I played tennis in high school.
15. I majored in biology and minored in psychology at the University of Tenneessee at Martin.
16. I pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. in the Spring of 1991. There were 13 of us who pleged that year and I was #3. My line name was Songstress. I guess because I led most if not all of the songs.
17. I won 1st place in the UT-Martin’s Campus Wide Talent Show. I was in total shock when they called my name. I sang “You Bring Me Joy” by Anita Baker.
18. I attended Tennessee Technological University for graduate studies. My major advisor was Dr. S.K. Ballal, from India. I learned so much from him including life lessons that continue to help me today.
19. My graduate background studies were in cellular biology and microbiology. I love these subjects!
20. I did research and wrote my thesis about tall fescue (grass) and isolated the fungus (endophyte) in this grass by running starch gel electrophoresis. I thought I was never going to make it, but I did.
21. I am 5 foot 1 inches and 106 pounds. The most I’ve weighed is 152 pounds. Pregnancy weight was 167 pounds. I was a little pregnant whopper. 🙂
22. I love the smell of lavender.
23. My zodiac sign is Cancer.
24. Most of my life I’ve been an introvert, but as I have gotten older, I have changed. But I’m still quiet, until after I get to know you.
25. My favorite color is pink.
26. I have been married for 8 years. Yeah, I’m a late bloomer. 🙂
27. I have one daughter and her name is Hannah. She was born with Trisomy 21. One of the smartest kids I know and I’m not saying that because she is my child. She never ceases to amaze me.
28. I started blogging in 2008 just to document my 40 day raw food challenge. Now here I am with this blog and will probably start another one soon.
29. I love writing, even though I have to work at it.
30. I am an avid book lover and love reading. One of my aunts use to call me a bookworm when I was in junior high. I guess you never really change, you just become more of the same.
31. I am a native Tennessesan and I love my Tennessee teams.
I enjoyed writing this list and I have found it very theraputic. I hope you have learned a little more about me.
Have a wonderful weekend! 😉