Improving body image should be easy, but it is one of the most challenging things that anyone can do. A poor body image is usually something we keep to ourselves.
Both women and men struggle with body image, but I will go out on limb and say that there are more women struggling with body image, than men because the media has set standards of beauty for women.
Women tend to compare themselves to the standard of beauty and who can compete with that? The average woman looks nothing like the standard of beauty the media portrays. Women come in different sizes, shapes and colors and there is beauty in every woman, but let the media tell it the average woman is not beautiful.
Improving a poor body image does not happen overnight, but if you want to improve your body image, you can do it. This article is inspired by a client and my goal with this article is to give you simple ways improve body image.
Ways to Improve Body Image
1. Love the body you are in right now. If you think you will love your body when you get a toned body, you are sadly mistaken. What makes you think that you will magically love your body after you get the body that you want? The truth is you will not automatically love your body when its toned.
Your body may look hot, but if you continue carrying toxic thinking about yourself, you will not be happy, no matter how amazing you look on the outside. It is important that you accept your body as it is now and when you do get the body that you want you will be content. Love what you have now so you can really love yourself tomorrow.
2. Look deep into why you dislike your body in the first place. There is a good reason why you have a poor body image. Were you teased about you body as a child or teenager? Did you feel uncomfortable or awkward in your body as a child or teenager? Did you date or marry someone who made you feel bad about your body? Do you compare your body to others?
Do not be afraid to dive deeper, because deep is where answers lie. Looking deeper into why you have a poor body image takes time and effort. You may even have to work with someone to help you go deeper. The point here is get to the root and find out why you have a poor body image.
3. Pay attention to yourself when you look in the mirror. Everyone looks in the mirror, but not everyone really looks in the mirror. Those that do not really look in the mirror, will take a quick glance at how they look in their clothes, and if the hair and makeup are right and that is it.
The next time you look in the mirror, do not glance and go, take time to really look at yourself. Look at your face and notice your eyes and your smile. Tell yourself that your eyes and smile are beautiful and believe it when you say it. Discard all negative self-talk.
Build yourself up. You cannot build yourself up if you do not pay attention to yourself while looking in the mirror. The next time you look in the mirror; pause, gaze and acknowledge the beautiful creation that you are.
4. Hold your head high and walk like you are royalty. No one will love you more than you do, so always be your biggest fan. If you walk with your head down and act like you are a no body, then you will feel like you are a no body.
You are powerful and never let anyone make you feel less than you are, because you are royalty. Walk like you are somebody, because you are. Start carrying yourself like you feel good about yourself, you will soon notice a major shift in your attitude. You will feel better about your body and it will trickle down into other areas of your life.
5. Embrace embodiment. The meaning of embodiment is one that embodies something, the act of embodying: the state of being embodied. Embody means to give a body to (a spirit): incarnate. Embodiment is being alive and active in your body.
Disembodying is when you are not really present in your body. It is usually during times when life throws a cure ball and it is more than we can handle.
Have you become a couch potato? Get off the couch and get moving. It does not matter what kind of movement you do as long as you move. Walk, jog, swim, or dance. Whatever you do, make sure it is movement you enjoy.
Movement helps you get back in your body. In other words, you embody. Embracing embodiment helps you get more in tune with your body wisdom which helps you pay attention to your body.
6. Ignore the naysayers. The journey to loving your body will not be an easy journey. It will be one of the toughest roads you travel. You may have more naysayers than sayers, but keep moving. Oftentimes you have to keep what you are doing for yourself to yourself for your peace.
You will have a few supporters and that’s fine. You just keep walking on your journey. You do not need a big crowd cheering you on to the finish line. You love your body no matter what anyone says or does. You are improving your body image for you.
Having a good body image improves your overall health and well-being. Never let anyone discourage you. The most important work you will ever do is the work you do on improving yourself.
Improving yourself is a life long journey and if you pay attention to what the naysayers say, you’ll always feel that you are never good enough. Leave the naysayers in the dust, and blaze full speed ahead to being the best you that you can be.
“There is nothing more rare, more more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.” ~ Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience.