I originally started this blog as a raw vegan. I stopped eating a raw vegan diet because I lost too much weight. I concluded that a raw vegan diet was not the best diet for me.
I spent most of this year experimenting with different plant-based diets, with my most recent experiment being the Starch Solution.
Finding the right plant-based diet took some time, but I finally know what works best for me.
The Starch Solution (Dr. McDougall)
The Starch Solution (McDougall Diet) is one of many good plant-based diets. I started the Starch Solution diet in August and have recently decided to stop following this diet. Below are a few reasons why I will no longer follow this diet:
- White potatoes (nightshade vegetable) are not good for me.
- Finger became stiff and sore (injury from my teen years).
- Stopped eating white potatoes (unplanned, just happened) and inflammation in finger went away.
Note: I enjoyed eating white potatoes before switching to a plant-based diet, but after switching I rarely ate white potatoes. It wasn’t until I began following the Starch Solution diet that I realized that I cannot eat white potatoes.
The Starch Solution is not a bad diet. I can easily continue following the diet while excluding white potatoes, but I fare better eating a higher percentage of raw fruits and vegetables.
The Starch Solution helped me understand the importance of including starchy plant-based foods in my diet and because of that I am comfortable returning to raw vegan diet.
High Raw Vegan Diet (80/20)
I decided to return to eating a raw vegan diet, but before making the change, I knew I had to figure out how I would make the diet work.
I contacted my raw food coach, Ms. Carolyn Akens. Ms. Carolyn explained to me what a typical day looks like for a person eating 80% raw vegan food and 20% cooked food.
I understood things better and decided to proceed with my change. Sometimes you need expert advice to help you do things the right way.
High Raw Vegan Diet Plan (80/20)
Most of my diet will consist of uncooked foods (80%) and the remaining 20% is cooked foods. The cooked portion of my diet includes: whole grains, legumes/beans, and some vegetables.
My plan also includes adding healthy fats/oils (example: coconut oil, flaxseed oil) back to my diet. I will keep the amount of fat I consume low.
Here are the basic foods:
- whole grains
- green juice
Finding a best diet is challenging, especially when the diet is a plant-based diet. If you need the help of an expert, do not hesitate get the help you need.
Plant-based diets are not created equal. What works for one person, may not be the best option for the next person.
Listen to your body and do what works best for you and your situation.
Eyes wide open, moving forward!