One of my goals for 2013 is to eat an Alkaline Diet. An alkaline diet is a diet in which you eat a high percentage of food that is alkaline or basic. These foods have a positive affect on the pH of your blood as well as your overall health. You can maintain good health by eating more alkaline foods.
I have not set a date for when I will start the Alkaline Diet or pH Diet, because I am doing research, planning and preparing myself for this change. My goal is to start sometime in January of 2013. I will keep you updated and this is the first post to introduce you to the foods to avoid.
There is a specialized list of foods to eat on the Natural Life Energy site. My goal is to use this guide, which is a nutritional guide list from Dr. Sebi (herbalist) and Dr. Robert O. Young’s recommendations in the The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health to eat the type of diet that is best for me.
Today, I share with you 19 types of foods you should avoid when eating an alkaline diet.
19 Foods You Should Avoid
(This list is from The pH Miracle, author Dr. Robert O. Young)
1. Sugar. Sugar feeds microforms (bacteria). These microforms love sugar, especially those that cause a rapid rise in blood sugar. If you need to sweeten something, try using stevia or chicory.
2. Simple Carbohydrates. This group includes white flour, white rice, corn, and potatoes.
3. Refined and Processed Foods. These your foods that have no nutritional value, junk foods. Chips, cookies, pastries, frozen foods and anything that you can get from a fast food restaurant.
4. Fruit. The body does not discriminate when it comes to sugar. Low sugar fruits such as lemons, limes and grapefruits are best. Once you achieve balance, then a small piece of seasonal fruit is fine.
5. Dairy Products. Dairy forms sticky mucus and is highly acid-forming. It can increase cancer, including ovarian and endometrial.
6. Salt. Try to eliminating all added salt from your diet, except for alkalizing salts Real Salt or seasoning salts with vegetables added.
7. Saturated and Other Unhealthy Fats. Eliminate all the dangerous fats from your diet. Do not cook your food in fat or oil (steam it) and do not add too much oil after preparing foods. Instead use olive, flax, coconut and grape seed oils and other healthy oils.
8. Meat and Eggs. These foods, like dairy foods, have hormones, pesticides, steroids, antibiotics, microforms, mycotoxins and saturated fats may lead to heart disease, strokes and cancer.
9. Stored Grains. These are grains that are last year’s crop. Stored grains ferment after 90 days and are full of mycotoxins.
10. Yeast. Avoid Brewer’s, Baker’s and Nutritional yeast and yeast-containing foods. Eating yeast or anything made with yeast can cause the overgrowth of microforms and increase mycotoxins.
11. Edible Fungus. Mushrooms of all kinds and all forms produce acids when digested. They contain mycotoxins that poison the human cells and lead to degenerative diseases.
Mushrooms are on Dr. Sebi’s list of foods to eat and I don’t foresee myself giving them up completely.
12. Spirulina and Algae Supplements. These are green plants rich in chlorophyll, protein, minerals and other nutrients. Algae thrive in acid conditions. Toxins in algae have been shown to harm the liver and nervous system.
I have a new jar of spirulina and I don’t see myself giving this up anytime soon.
13. Fermented and Malted Products. This includes condiments such as vinegar, mustard, ketchup, steak sauce, soy sauce, tamari, mayonnaise, salad dressings, chili sauce, horseradish, miso, monosodium glutamate (MSG), and any kind of alcohol, as well as pickled vegetables such as relish, green olives, sauerkraut and pickles. All are acid forming and create sticky mucus.
14. Alcohol. Alcohol is a mycotoxin made by yeast. This includes wine, beer, whiskey, brandy, gin, rum, and vodka which are the most popular.
15. Caffeine. Caffeine is in chocolate, tea, sodas, and all forms of coffee. These foods are acid-forming. Caffeine is also addicting.
16. Corn, Corn Products, Peanuts and Peanut Products. Corn has about 25 different mycotoxin-producing fungi, including recognized carcinogens. Peanuts have 26 mycotoxin-producing fungi. Cashew nuts and dried coconut should also be avoided.
17. Heated Oils. Any oils heated during processing have been nutritionally destroyed. These include, but are not limited to corn, canola and other vegetable oils. Look for cold-pressed, virgin oils instead.
18. Microwaved Food. Microwaving food destroys the enzymes and depletes the life energy of the food. Microwaving makes all foods acid-forming
19. Artificial Sweeteners. These sweeteners are acidifying. The bad sweeteners include aspartame (Nutrasweet), saccharin (Sweet and Low), neotame, suralose (Splenda), acesulfame (Sunette, Sweet & Safe, Sweet One), and cyclamates. They all break down into deadly acids in the body.
Stay tuned for the next post, when I share with you the foods that you should eat while following an alkaline diet.
Information Source: The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
Image courtesy of Digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net