There are times in life when things do not go as you planned. You keep receiving bad news or having bad things happen. You begin asking yourself, “Has someone put a spell or a root on my life? What did I do to deserve this?”
Imagine the following:
- Your doctor tells you that you need to change your diet and lose weight so that you feel better
- It is a challenge for you to live a healthy lifestyle (healthy diet, exercise, etc.)
- The mechanic tells you that you need a new engine in your car and that car is your only mode of transportation
- You step out of the shower, all fresh and clean, only to see a snake staring at you
- A storm cloud is over your head and there is no sign of a rainbow in sight.
Staying in the Game
It is easy to give up, especially when nothing seems to be going right for you. You have to tell yourself that there is a lesson despite all that you are going through.
It is hard to keep playing the game, when you are down and cannot score. Staying in the game is what builds character and makes you who you are. It does not matter if you win or lose, but what matters is that you do not give up.
You learn lessons about yourself when you keep playing the game. Giving up before you make your first home run, your first basket, or score your first touch down, does not teach you anything about yourself. It does however, teach you that it is easy to give up without ever trying.
You must stay in the game and continue playing, no matter how it looks.
When Times Are Tough
There is a saying that, “When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.” You have to keep going even through those tough times, because eventually the tough times will go away.
If you find it hard to handle those tough times try this:
- Prayer or mediation: Spending time in prayer helps you let go of the fear, worry, disappointment, and the pain.
- Spending time alone: Sometimes all you need is time to yourself so that you can think and clear your mind.
- Writing or journaling: Writing is good therapy. You can put your feelings on paper, which can help lift any burdens your have.
- Guarding your heart: Do not let anything or anyone cause you to feel down about the things that you are going through.
There are many ways that you can handle tough times. Always remember, that no matter what happens you cannot give up.
I leave you with these words from Derek Prince:
“Everything in your life ultimately proceeds out of your heart. The condition of your heart is going to determine the condition of your life. Guard it with all your strength. Don’t let evil in; don’t make room for unbelief, for bitterness, for fear, for anxiety, because if there are bitter things in your heart, then there will be bitterness in your life. But if your heart is pure and clean, if your heart is filled with faith and love and with truth and with righteousness, then the course of your life will be a course of success.
So, remember that. Guard your heart with all your strength for all the things there are in life come out of it.
Be encouraged and hang in there!
Image courtesy of SmokedSalmon / FreeDigitalPhotos.net