Have you often wondered why sleep is called “beauty rest?” It is because we really do get beautified while we are sleeping. How is this? Rest is very important for the body to function at its peak. If there is a lack of rest/sleep, then the body will react and let you know.
I’m known to burn the candles at both ends. Meaning that I get up early and I go to bed late. As I type this article, I feel very tired. I didn’t get enough sleep and I cannot continue on this road. I have decided that no matter what, I will turn in early and give my body the rest that it needs. It is the healthy thing to do.
Why you need your beauty rest
- Health. If you’re not getting enough sleep, it can hurt your immune system by increasing your chances of getting sick with a cold or some other bug. Lack of sleep has also been linked to hypertension which can affect your cardiovascular health.
- Memory. Not getting enough sleep can wreak havoc on your memory and learning. Keep your learning and memory sharp by getting your rest. Your brain needs rest too.
- Weight control. The proper amount of rest can help you lose weight as well as maintain your weight. Helps regulate your hormones which will help with your appetite.
- Mood. Waking up grouchy is not normal. Most of the time when you wake up in a bad mood, you will find that you have not gotten enough sleep.
- Beauty. While you sleep, your body is repairing itself on a cellular level and if you don’t get the sleep you need, then you will eventually look old before your time. Your body needs time to do what it does and if you are not allowing time for your body to repair itself; you will look older than you really are.
Since, I have written this post, I will challenge myself to do my body a good service by giving my body the proper rest that it needs. Scientists recommend that we get 8 hours of sleep each night and that’s what I shooting for. Will you join me in this challenge? Start tonight by getting in the bed earlier than you have been. Your body will love this!
Sleep is your best friend!