Do you drink water? Whenever someone asks me advice about eating healthy or losing weight, I always tell them to drink water. Most of the time, I get this response, “I can’t drink water, I don’t like it.” It doesn’t matter what you don’t like, your body needs and cries out for water.
Here is a quick story. A relative told me that I should give my daughter cool-aid and sodas, because her other cousins drink those beverages and that my daughter should drink them too. My response was, “I don’t give my daughter those types of beverages because they are not good for her and as a family we don’t drink cool-aid and sodas.”
Just because cool-aid, sodas and other unhealthy beverages are available, does not mean that my family should drink those types of beverages. Those beverages are not healthy. The best beverage is a glass of water!
Importance of Water
The body is 70% water and it is a good practice to drink water daily.
Let’s face it, we love water because we are water. The average adult contains 40-50 quarts – 10-13 gallons of water! Blood is 83% water, muscles 75%, brain 75%, heart 75%, bones 22%, lungs 86%, kidneys 83%, eyes 95%. If aliens landed tomorrow they would probably describe us mobile sacks of water. (Water: The Ultimate Cure, Page 12)
Water makes up the bulk of the body. If we take away all the water that’s in the body, then there will be nothing left. The body would dry out (dehydrate) and die. That is why it is very important to drink water daily. Sodas, cool-aid and coffee do not make the cut. You must drink water!
Functions of Water in the Human Body
- Improves oxygen delivery to the cells
- Transports nutrients
- Enables cellular hydration
- Moistens oxygen for easier breathing
- Cushions bones and joints
- Absorbs shocks to joints and organs
- Regulates body temperature
- Removes wastes
- Flushes toxins
- Prevents tissues from sticking
- Lubricates joints
- Improves cell to cell communications
- Maintains normal electrical properties of cells
- Empowers the body’s natural healing process
Are you wondering how you can drink more water? Here are a few tips to help you stay hydrated.
- Drink ½ your body weight in ounces. If you weigh 150 pounds, you should drink 75 ounces of water daily.
- Avoid beverages that will dehydrate you, like caffeinated coffee, teas, sodas, alcohol or beer.
- Drink water and fresh juices to stay hydrated during illnesses and upon recovery. Illnesses can rob your body of water.
- Start your day with water. This will help flush your digestive tract and rehydrate your system.
- Drink water at regular intervals throughout the day. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty.
- Carry a water bottle with you.
- Make a habit of drinking water.
- Sweat, perspire. Exercise and make sure you work up a sweat. Sweating cleans the lymphatic system and bloodstream. This is one way you can detoxify. Make sure to put water back into your body after you have worked up a sweat.
Water is important and without water the body will suffer. Don’t wait until you get dehydrated to think about drinking water. Make drinking water a daily practice. Your body will love you for this.
- Water: The Ultimate Cure : Discover Why Water Is the Most Important Ingredient in Your Diet and Find Out Which Water Is Right for You(Affiliate Link)
Additional Recommended Reading
- Your Body’s Many Cries for Water(Affiliate Link)