I don’t know about you, but I love chili. I especially enjoy creating different non-meat versions of chili.
Carolyn Akens shared her recipe for Vegetarian Chili in her most recent newsletter and I’m passing it along to you.
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (can use organic canned kidney beans)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, medium dice
- 2 cups butternut squash, medium dice
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder (can use organic cocoa powder)
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink or Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
1. In a large saucepan, combine the kidney beans with water to cover the beans; bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2-2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain the beans and reserve one cup of the liquid.
2. In a dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook until tender (about 7 minutes). Stir in the bell peppers and butternut squash, and cook for 4 minutes, or until the peppers are crisp-tender. Add the cacao, agave nectar, marjoram, chili flakes, chili powder, cumin, and salt, stirring to coat.
3. Stir in the drained beans, reserved liquid, tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 30 minutes to meld the flavors.
About Carolyn Akens
Carolyn Akens, Holistic Health Coach and Raw Food Educator, is Founder and CEO of CarolynAkens.com and CarolynsRawFoods.com.
Known for her ability to coach women on how to lose weight, how to detox, and how to stop sugar cravings. Carolyn also trains and coaches Raw Chefs and Raw Instructors.
She teaches raw classes and workshops, and trains students in Mastering the Art of Pastry Unbaked!
Visit www.CarolynAkens.com for your FR*EE gifts…How to Become a Skinny Mother or Grandmother, Raw Recipes and Healing Foods!