I am trying the McDougall Diet. After reading and reviewing, The Starch Solution, I decided to give the diet a try.
Those of you who are longtime readers of this blog and subscribers to my You Tube channel, know that I have tried many ways of eating a plant-based (vegan) diet.
I have yet to find the right diet. Let’s see how I fare on the McDougall Diet.
What Do Your Eat on A Starch-Based Diet?
Do not let the word starch distract you. Think of starch as carbohydrates (carbs). All carbs are not starch. The starch-based diet is a high carb, low fat diet.
Note: I know many people frown on eating a high carb, low fat diet, but when you examine this closely, eating a plant-based diet is mostly a carb diet.
This diet is one in which you eat whole plant foods, limiting the amount of fat that you eat.
My diet consists of:
- starches – whole grains, legumes, starchy vegetables.
- non-starchy vegetables
How to Follow the Diet
- Center your diet around the starches that you like.
- Eat the least processed starches.
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits
- Eliminate animal food from your diet, including meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, and milk.
- Keep fat intake as low as possible.
- Avoid any added fat in your food.
- When eating soy foods, do not eat highly processed soy.
- Keep the sugar and salt low.
If you want to achieve maximum weight loss do these things:
- Increase the amount of non-starchy vegetables.
- Avoid simple sugars, including dried fruit and juices.
- Keep fresh fruits to one or two a day.
- Avoid flours and flour products.
- Avoid all high-fat-plant foods.
- Eat many small meals a day instead of one or two big meals.
- Do not eat at restaurants.
- Exercise more frequently.
This is the plant-diet that I am following. I officially started the starch solution diet on August 1, 2013 and I do not intend on stopping, unless it does not work. I will publish weekly updates and upload monthly videos to you tube.
Let’s do this!
Below is my first you tube video documenting my journey. If you have trouble viewing this video, click here. Enjoy!