One day I steamed turnip greens, but for some reason, I added a few sliced button mushrooms in the mix. I am happy to tell you that the turnip greens and mushrooms were a hit.
There are some people who think that when you a plant-based diet, that you do not many options, but that is not true.
When preparing food you can make it taste anyway you want. You never know what you will come up with, so relax and have fun in the kitchen.
The next time you are in the kitchen, and you get an idea to add something that you have never added before, go for it. You just might surprise yourself.
Interesting Facts About Turnip Greens
- Cruciferous vegetable
- Aids in cancer prevention
- Aids in detox support
- Anti-oxidant benefits
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Provides cardiovascular support
- Aids in digestion support
- High in sulfur
- Turnip leaves are considered good for controlling calcium in the body
- Fresh and young leaves can be used in raw salads
- Leave an Alkaline ash
- Low calorie content
- Low carbohydrates
- Can be used in most diets
Nutrients in One Pound of Turnip Greens
- Calories: 140
- Protein: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.6 g
- Calcium: 987 mg
- Phosphorous: 190 mg
- Iron: 9.1 mg
- Vitamin A: 34,470 I.U.
- Thiamine: 0.37 mg
- Riboflavin: 2.15 mg
- Niacin: 2.9 mg
- Ascorbic acid: 519 mg
Source: Foods that Heal by Dr. Bernard Jensen
Steamed Turnip Greens with Mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-3 garlic cloves (minced/chopped)
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper (optional)
- 1 bunch of turnip greens or one bag of pre-washed and cut turnip greens
- 3-5 button mushrooms, sliced
- Bragg Liquid Aminos (to taste)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (to taste)
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- liquid smoke (optional)
- water or oil of your choice for sautéing the onion, garlic, bell pepper
**If you have more turnip greens, then add more onion, garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms
- Clean and chop turnip greens the way you like them.
- Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper until onion is translucent
- Add 1/2-1 cup water. To the water add Bragg Liquid Aminos, red pepper flakes, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke.
- At this point you can add the turnip greens or just let the water and seasoning boil a little, then add the turnip greens.
- Add more water if needed.
- Steam greens. Greens should have a bright green color and be slightly wilted.
- Add mushrooms and stir. Cook until tender.
Serve topped with a few tomato slices.
Source of Information