Today our guest blogger is Sean Franco.
The Healing Properties and Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli herb is believed to have many health benefits to people. This herb has amazing healing properties like anti-phlogistic, aphrodisiac, cicatrisant, anti odor, febrifuge, insecticide, health tonic, anti depressant, antiseptic, astringent, cytophylactic, diuretic, fungicide as well as sedative. The steam distillation of Patchouli leaves gives us patchouli essential oil.
People have been using Patchouli herb for centuries as natural ayurvedic remedies to different ailments. It was even used as an insecticide and insect repellent for years. People used the dried leaves of Patchouli to protect stored clothes from pest attack.
However, people have now realized that Patchouli is more than just an insecticide and that there are actually many health benefits of Patchouli essential oil that they can take advantage of.
10 Medicinal Uses and Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
1. Anti- depressant: The health benefits of Patchouli essential oil benefits are helpful for people who suffer from depression. It has been observed that the use of this essential oil helps uplift the mood and reduces stress. It is even now a popular oil in aromatherapy. Using this oil in the diffuser helps create an atmosphere that is relaxing and free from stressful vibes.
2. Antiphlogistic: Patchouli helps in reducing inflammation or fever which makes it a very effective Antiphlogistic.
3. Antiseptic: The health benefits of Patchouli essential oil include having antiseptic properties. When used externally, it can help treat wounds and infection. It also helps in stopping the wounds from turning septic. Just a few drops of Patchouli essential oil must be mixed with base oil and massaged on the affected area.
4. Aphrodisiac: Patchouli Oil has been used as an Aphrodisiac for many centuries. It was also a favored scent used by many in their sixties to enhance their sex lives. The health benefits of Patchouli essential oil helps increase a person’s libido and sexual interest.
5. Astringent: Patchouli essential Oil enhances muscle, skin and nerve contractions. This improves the gum hold on teeth, reduces hair fall, decreases muscle looseness and stops skin for sagging. The astringent in this herbal oil reduces bleeding by increasing blood vessel contraction.
6. Cicatrisant: Patchouli essential oil works as an agent that promotes cicatrization or scar formation. It helps in healing wounds and cuts. It also helps in reducing the marks left by scars, acne, chicken pox, measles or boils.
7. Anti-odor: Patchouli essential oil is spicy and musky fragrance that helps in keeping body odor at bay. However, you must not use the patchouli oil directly as it is too strong for some people, mix it with some base oil and rub it on the odor prone parts of the body.
8. Diuretic: Patchouli essential oil is diuretic. Thus, the health benefits of patchouli essential oil increase the frequency of urination and help in moving fluids faster from the body while taking toxins along with it. The diuretic properties of patchouli improves the health by lowering the blood pressure, improving appetite, reducing cholesterol level as well as expulsion of toxins from the body.
9. Insecticide: People from older times knew about the insecticidal use of patchouli essential oil. Although it has a sweet aroma, it also helps keep insects and mosquitoes away. It is used in many mosquito repellent sprays, lotions and fumigants. Some people add few drops of patchouli essential oil in the water used to wash clothes to kill any germs in it. Dried leaves of patchouli plant are also kept with woolen clothes to keep it safe from pests.
10. Gargle: The health benefits of Patchouli essential oil are also good for treating bad breath and halitosis. It is added to mouthwash or gargling solutions for a fresher breath.
About the Author: Sean Franco is an online researcher and writer for Herbs Can Cure. He provides tips and information on how to live a healthy lifestyle through natural ayurvedic remedies.
If you like the content, subscribe to my newsletter. Get exclusive emails, tips, news, blog post updates, and more when you join
Thanks for the information, I didn’t know that about patchouli!
Thanks for dropping by and for the added info. 🙂
Fran the Online Writer says
Hi Sean and Evelyen
New information always adds up to everyones information bank and so was this post. Now if I am shopping and come across this product, I will know all about it.
Good to hear you find the topic interesting. Hope it will be of good use for you in the future.
Evelyn Parham says
Thank you for such an informative post about patchouli.
I enjoy trying new essential oils and patchouli is definitely on my list of one I will try.
I didn’t know that patchouli had so many great benefits. I especially am interested in using it as an insecticide. The mosquitoes are bad where I am.
Yes and I think its better to use patchouli than the toxic insecticides sold in the market.
Who would have know my favorite scent was so darn healthy! The diuretic and gargle benefits don’t surprise me Sean and Evelyn but to know that it also contains antiseptic properties among others is very helpful!
I’m glad you find my post helpful. Thanks for taking time to read it.
It just amazes me how the things that come from the earth are so healthy for us..and thanks to Evelyn I’ve been eating healthy for about 6 months now.
“Black Seo Guy “Signing Off”
Yes, Mother Nature is really amazing and can work wonders. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, TrafficColeman. I hope you find my post helpful.