Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) have some interesting facts. These little legumes are not only unique in appearance, but they are pack a healthy punch.
The taste of garbanzo beans takes a little getting used to, but after trying these beauties, you will like them. They have a nutty taste and the texture of the bean is creamy and buttery. If you have not tried garbanzo beans, why not give them a try.
Below are interesting facts about garbanzo beans:
Facts about Garbanzo Beans
- The garbanzo seeds are high in protein.
- The garbanzo bean is the earliest cultivated legume.
- The garbanzo bean is a member of the family Fabaceae.
- The garbanzo bean is 7,500 years old.
- The garbanzo bean is grown in the Mediterranean, Western Asia and the Indian subcontinent, and Australia.
- The garbanzo bean is a good source for zinc, folate and protein.
- The garbanzo bean is low in fat.
- The garbanzo bean was first cultivated in 3, 000 B.C.
- The garbanzo bean is an excellent digestive tract supporter, in that it has 12.5 grams of fiber per cup.
- The garbanzo bean has antioxidants that are very unique.
- The garbanzo bean has 85% of the Daily Value of Manganese per cup.
- The garbanzo bean helps decrease cardiovascular risk.
- The garbanzo bean helps better regulate blood sugar.
- The garbanzo bean helps you feel satiated.
- The garbanzo bean is moderately acidic.
Ways To Eat Garbanzo Beans
- Sprinkled on green vegetable salads
- Bean salads
- Dips or spreads (hummus)
*Be creative when cooking and season however you like.
Discussion: Do you eat garbanzo beans? If, yes what’s your favorite way to eat them? Do share!