Spring cleaning for the mind and spirit is not discussed as much as cleaning the body. I have more articles on this site about cleaning/detoxing the body than I do about cleaning the mind and spirit.
I never realized the importance of cleaning the mind and spirit until after I had no other choice, but to do some cleaning of my own. Had I not taken time to clean my mind and spirit, I would not here today.
Defining the Mind and the Spirit
The mind is the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and esp. reasons. (Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary)
The spirit is the immaterial intelligent or sentient part of a person. (Merriam- Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary)
Spring Cleaning the Mind and Spirit
The thoughts you think and the way you feel affect your spirit. Do you realize that negative self-talk and self-defeating thoughts will get you down in your spirit?
Feeling down in your spirit has a way of happening fast. It happens fast because the negative thought enters the mind and almost immediately you start feeling down in your spirit.
The mind and spirit are just as important as the body. If the mind and spirit never get cleaned the debris, spills over into the body causing sickness. Let’s make it a practice of spring cleaning the mind and the spirit.
Ways to Clean your Mind and Spirit
- Draw closer to the divine source of power. The divine can be God or whatever you consider your divine source of power. Getting closer to the source recharges your mind and spirit. Stay hooked up to the source because the source always has the power you need.
- Renew you mind and dump the negative self-talk in the garbage. The negative self-talk garbage can is full and needs emptying. Anytime negative self-talk rears its ugly head, catch yourself and empty the garbage as quickly as possible. Pile ups like this stink and you want your self-talk smelling positive, fresh and clean.
- Release jealousy, grudges, resentment, bitterness, and hatred. Release these toxic emotional strongholds. Holding on to these toxic emotional strongholds makes you sick. Do what’s necessary to rid yourself of toxic emotional strongholds. Forgive and empty all emotional strongholds from your mind and spirit. Fill your mind and spirit with love and peace.
- Meditate on the good and the positive. Think on things that are good and positive. Stay away from all things (people, places, or things) that are negative. Allowing negative thoughts to stay in your mind harms your spirit. Pour good and positive thoughts in your mind. Doing so, keeps your spirit healthy in an amazing kind of way.
- Settle any unresolved issues you have with family members. If you are carrying past hurts caused by a family member; resolve the issue. Talk to the family member and let them know how you feel. Talking is the a time for releasing and forgiving. Ask any questions you have and do everything in love. When we speak our truth in love, the other person receives it. They may not like your truth, but will receive it. Inhale, exhale and then let it go.
- Forgive yourself. Circumstances and situations happen beyond our control. Blaming yourself for things that happened in your life for which you had no control over is like pouring salt in a wound. The wound heals when you stop blaming yourself. Forgive yourself and acknowledge that you are not to blame and is not your fault.
- Laugh every chance you get. Have you ever had a good hearty laugh? A good, hearty laugh takes your mind and your spirit to a better place. You forget what’s bothering you. Take a break from being serious and laugh. Laughter is the truly best medicine for the mind and spirit.
“A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.”~ Irish Proverb
How do you clean your mind and spirit? Do share.
Join my mailing list and get weekly blog post updates and a monthly letter written especially for you. Sign up here.